So, I had a nifty idea.....I shall call it: "The One Line Theft Game"..........

7:21 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
To play I will choose a single random line from two different works. One line will become the first line in my short tale, and the other will be made the last line of it. The entire tale must make some sort of sense and must be at least 100 words, but less than 300. So, let's give her a go.....

page 47, line 8, The Merry Wives of Windsor by: William Shakespeare
"To shallow rivers, to whose falls-"
page 47, line 8, The Age Of Cathedrals by: Georges Duby
"The eleventh-century god was not very different from the leaders of the men who hid in the marshes"

To shallow rivers, to whose falls the fair folk came on the eve of the winter solstice, the two of us had journeyed. The gentle moon shone brilliantly down upon the sweet water that wound as a luminescent serpent through the frosted forest. With every step my weight bore down upon the winter-crisp flora producing tiny snappings and crunchings. I laid my beautiful new bride down on the heavy woolen blanket that covered the bottom of the small boat. The tears that had frozen as they fell from her blind eyes now glimmered like little diamonds set upon her pale, cold cheeks. I carefully gave the boat a push, sending it into the swirling current of the river. I had done all I could for her after the marsh marauders had ambushed us on our way to the new Holy-land of Pergenia. There we would have worshiped halfheartedly at the new temple of the new Emperor’s new god as he had commanded of all his empire. That was before my beloved had taken the dagger meant for me. Now, as I watched her float down the river Nosham, I prayed with all my soul to our old river god to mend her broken form. A new day had dawned on the land and with it came those other fanciful things. We had a new master, new god, and new rules, but as far as I could tell, the eleventh-century god was not very different from the leaders of the men who hid in the marshes.

(255 words)

0 comments: